Taragarh Palace was built in the early 1930’s .It’s first name Al-Hilal, meaning the crescent moon, spelt romance. Nawab Sir Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi v, the emir of Bhawalpur state (now in Pakistan), had intended it to be his getaway in the verdant hills of Kangra. Partition left Al-Hilal without an owner for a few years. It was then bought by H.H. Dr Karan Singh in the year 1950 for his mother Maharani Tara Devi. She was born & brought up in Bijapur village in Kangra, consequently her attachment for a home in the district was understandable. The palace came to be named after her as Rani ki Kothi (queen’s cottage) & later as Taragarh.
Taragarh estate is situated in a camphor forest surrounded by tea gardens in Kangra Valley, one of the most scenic & few unspoilt areas of Himachal Pradesh.Located at an altitude of 1000 metres above sea level, at the foothills of the Dhauladhar Mountains with a splendid view of the surrounding snowcapped peaks.